How are you doing?
I’m feeling… out of sorts. The rapid spread of coronavirus, and the resulting isolation measures, have taken a toll on many of us.
On one hand, I know that extreme social distancing is incredibly important (I wrote about this here).
On the other hand, I’m getting messages like this from local business owners:
Many local eateries are voluntarily moving to close dine-in (and do take-out) in order to flatten the curve and encourage social distancing.
Vernon restaurants, bars, cafes, and services are hurting. 💔
- Daily revenues are already down 50% or more. 😳
- Most will have to lay off their staff.
- Many have decided to suspend operations.
- Some likely won’t make it through this.
In the best of times, main street businesses operate on slim margins. They’re all scrambling to figure this out.
The government has promised some help, but none of them knows what that means.
We need to help!
Here’s what we can do right now to help:
- Order gift cards online.
- Order take-out as much as you can (if they’re still open).
- Encourage them. Tell them you care.
Here are some businesses I’ve been in touch with, and ways they’re asking for help:
Andrew, at Ratio Coffee & Pastry
“Please, if you can, tell people to pre-order donuts for tomorrow (order form will be up shortly). Also, we’re going to try to do online pizza orders (for pickup). You can still take drinks to go right now!”
Pearl, at Marten Brewpub:
“Please tell folks to grab cans UnderGround Kombucha when they shop. We are in Askews, Butcher boys, Safeway, Nature’s Fare, Railtrail cafe, Quality Greens, Choices and Lakeview markets. Also, we will be selling bombers and new growler starting tomorrow by request for pickup in the afternoon.”
David, at The Fig:
“If you are in a position to order food to go or delivery, please do so not just from us, but from all the remaining restaurants in town! You can also buy gift cards now that you know you will use later. The government has announced funding to support businesses but no information on how to access this has been released as of yet, so we are all hoping to weather the storm.”
Kelly, Midtown Bistro:
“Starting tomorrow we will be offering a special takeout menu for family-style, healthy, local food. We will offer delivery or even pick up out the back door. We are taking so many extra precautions to keep everyone safe.”
If you can help, please do.
A few other items from our community:
- Daryl Chymko is organizing an online hangout tomorrow at 15:30. Here’s the link.
- Need a sign or digital graphic made for COVID-19? Lesia is doing work free for frontline health care workers. Contact her at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Does anybody need a 3d printer? VO2 Master bought an Onyx One 3D printer in December. Used it maybe 5x times. They’re trying to sell it for 70% of what it’s worth – around CAD4,000. vo2master.com
On behalf of Startup Vernon + Geek Beers
PS: naturally, Geek Beers won’t happen this month. Please come to Daryl’s hangout tomorrow at 15:30!