Vernon cultural center needs your help
In a few weeks, North Okanagan residents will go to referendum to vote on borrowing $25 million towards the $40 million cost to build an art gallery, museum and performance space that will let us appreciate culture and heritage, and access far more exhibitions and programs.
Between now and Oct. 20, we need all the help we can get spreading the word about all the incredible ways this cultural centre will benefit Greater Vernon.
Please help however you can:
Here’s a chance to play a part in changing the course of Greater Vernon’s future and gain a beautiful downtown building with endless benefits for our community.
Can you lend some of your time and talents for this turning point?
As we prepare to launch our campaign, we’re looking for volunteers to help with:
- Coordinating volunteers
- Communication & information technology
- Project management
And soon, just about everything else! Even a few hours would mean so much and go such a long way.
Make a difference:
- To volunteer, please contact Maria Brunskill at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To help us find more volunteers, please share this email with family, friends and colleagues.
- Follow the Vernon Public Art Gallery and the Vernon Museum & Archives on social media, and help us spread the word in the coming weeks.
Follow Vernon Museum & Archives on Facebook
When you vote “yes” to the cultural facility, you vote yes to:
- Accessing far more exhibitions and programs
- A beautiful marquis building that’s accessible and easy to find
- Connecting to our roots and sharing our stories
- Attracting businesses and professionals who want to live in a community that values enriching cultural life
- Creating a community that fosters diversity, inclusion and innovative thinking
- Inspiring and nurturing young artists
- A vibrant, safe downtown
- Employment, tourism and local spending
- Improved individual wellbeing through opportunities for creative expression and learning, and by building a sense of identity, achievement & belonging
Did you know?
- The Vernon Public Art Gallery is the oldest art gallery in the Interior and has never had a permanent home?
- The GVMA building was a 1967 Centennial project
- The gallery and museum could be hosting world-class exhibitions and more pieces from their own permanent collections if they had the required space, ventilation and water protection?
- Due to limited space, less than 10% of the museum’s collection is on display?
- The Vernon Public Art Gallery has been recognized provincially for its curatorial and innovating programming and could do so much more with a purpose-built space?
- Both the Vernon Museum & Archives and the gallery lack space for programming? The gallery has to host workshops in an exhibition room, restricting the amount of programming it can offer to the public.
- We have a chance to access millions in provincial and federal government grants that will otherwise go to other communities?
- Community groups will be able to rent multi-use spaces?
- With payments for both Kal Tire Place and the Performing Arts Centre completing as the centre goes ahead, the average cost per family is only $12/year or $1 a month!!